Here’s another round of my del.icio.us links for this past week. The fact that most of the links are Islamic-related is pure coincidence.
– A 16 year-old girl in Toronto is murdered by her father for refusing to wear the hijab and being “too westernized”. I don’t what to say about this story other than the fact that it’s a disgusting and barbaric display that runs contrary to Islamic teachings.
– Honor crimes in Palestine seem to be higher than what we have in Jordan. But one of the reasons for that may in fact be due to article 340 of Jordan’s penal law! A pox on both our houses.
– At the Dubai Film Festival, 100 film stars, including George Clooney and Sharon Stone, received goody bags that were worth – now brace yourself – $100,000. The bag includes “a diamond dust exfoliating cream and a so-called “million-dollar treatment” which involves diamonds placed in the body’s ‘chakrasâ€™ to remove negative energies”. Now I don’t like to be the guy who says “but think of the poor kids in Palestine and Iraq!”, but COME ON Dubai! Now I know Clooney is a good guy, and after going to festival and talking about Darfur, I just know he’ll donate his bag to his Darfur fund. Otherwise, my faith in Hollywood will have been shaken to the core.
– If you like 2007 lists, Bakkouz has a bunch of them from Time Magazine. But you might also want to check out the lists compiled by Foreign Policy. My personal favorites include, Look Who’s Blogging Now, The World’s Stupidest Fatwas, and how the World Sees the US (look at Jordan’s rankings).
– Nadim Rouhana writes an interesting piece in The Nation about Arab-Israelis in light of the recent re-deceleration of Israel being a “Jewish” state at Annapolis. On the same note, a new popular Israeli show tries to “humanize” Arab-Israelis vis a vis a protagonist who struggles to be more Jewish. The irony is abound.
– Iran is rolling out a line of “Islamic Cars”, which is basically a normal car, made in Iran, with a compass that tells you which way the qiblah is and a little compartment for your Quran. Of course these are options so if you don’t want them, then you’re just buying a normal made-in-Iran car.
– Speaking of Islamic transportation: Saudi Arabia is planning to build 5 monorails that link Islamic sites in Mecca, to ease movement during the hajj season. Estimated cost is $5.3 billion. That’s right. Billion.